Thursday, June 24, 2010

How do I Handle Opposition??

After living in this world for more than 18 years, I have had my fair share of oppositions. From conflicts arising from friends, athletics, and academics to dealing with family issues such as divorce, I have faced life's harsh realities. There was, unfortunately, one negativism that truly stands out from the stress of normal life. At the age of 4, I had a peculiar problem regarding my speech. I could not pronunciate specific sounds between the Rs and Ws. Doctors believe it had to do with my ears being clogged with nasal mucus before I had tube surgery to correct it, which deafened my hearing of certain sounds. This disability caused create emotional harm to me as teachers would tell my parents that I may of had dyslexia and I responded to it as "[they thought I was] too stupid to achieve something" (Brooks). "My fury was not going to be acknowledge" so I worked to fix it (Lorde).I ultimately battled against my speech impediment taking speech classes and other procedures. Now today my speech is not a problem, however I still remember how I fought against this debilitating condition and won.

No comments:

Post a Comment